From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1453 - Ottoman armies under Sultan Mehmed II Fatih capture Constantinople after a siege, ending the Byzantine Empire and with it the Roman Empire.
- 1886 - Chemist John Pemberton places his first advertisement for Coca-Cola
- 1912 - Afternoon of a Faun (ballet) premiers in Paris
- 1913 - Igor Stravinsky's premiere of 'Le Sacre du printemps' at the Théâtre des Champs-Élysées
- 1935 - Construction of Hoover Dam is completed.
- 1985 - Heysel Stadium disaster: In Brussels, Belgium, 39 football fans die and hundreds are injured.
- 1874 - G. K. Chesterton, English novelist (d. 1936)
- 1880 - Oswald Spengler, German philosopher (d. 1936)
- 1894 - Josef von Sternberg, Austrian-born writer and film director (d. 1969)
- 1922 - Iannis Xenakis, Greek composer and architect, major contributor to musical modernism (d. 2001)
- 1923 - Harry Everett Smith (d. 1991)
- 1898 - Armand Rosenthal, French journalist and petty criminal (b. 1855)
- 1957 - James Whale, Hollywood film director, best known for his work in the queer horror genre (b. 1889)
- 1982 - Romy Schneider, Austrian actress (b. 1938)
- 1997 - Jeff Buckley, American musician (drowned) (b. 1966)