Camp des Milles
From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
The camp was first used to intern Germans and ex-Austrians living in the Marseilles Area, and by June 1940, some 3500 artists and intellectuals were detained there. Novelist Lion Feuchtwanger and visual artist Ferdinand Springer were inmates. Surrealist artists Hans Bellmer and Max Ernst were imprisoned in the Camp des Milles prison for most of World War II. Between 1941 and 1942 Le Camp des Milles was used as a transit camp for Jews, mainly men. Women were at the Centre Bompard in Marseilles, while they waited for their visas and anthorisations to emigrate. As emigration became imossible Les Milles became one one of the Centre de rassemblement before deportation. 2000 of the inmates were shipped off to Drancy camp on the way to Auschwitz
After the war, the site was briefly re-opened in 1946 as a factory.
In 1995 a movie titled "Les Milles" commemorating this camp and the events that took place in this camp at the time of the Armistice in June 1940 was made.