From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1763 - Renée-Pélagie de Montreuil marries Marquis de Sade.
- 1863 - Salon des Refusés, Paris, organized by painters who had been refused at the official Salon
- 1893 - Premiere of Maurice Maeterlinck's Pelléas and Mélisande.
- 1965 - 2nd Paris Festival of Free Expression opens at the American Center in Paris
- 1968 - Histoires extraordinaires premieres at Cannes, France.
- 1978 - Charlie Chaplin's stolen body found
- 1866 - Erik Satie, French composer (d. 1925)
- 1873 - Henri Barbusse, French novelist and journalist (d. 1935)
- 1904 - Jean Gabin, French actor (d. 1976)
- 1935 - Dennis Potter, English writer (d. 1994)
- 1936 - Dennis Hopper, American actor and director
- 1942 - Taj Mahal, American musician
- 1965 - Trent Reznor, American musician (Nine Inch Nails)
- 1510 - Sandro Botticelli, Italian painter (b. 1445)
- 1999 - James Broughton, American artist (b. 1913)
- 2004 - Jørgen Nash, Danish artist (b. 1920)