From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1521 – Protestant Reformation: Martin Luther's first appearance before the Diet of Worms to be examined by the Holy Roman Emperor Charles V and the other estates of the empire.
- 1943 - Dr. Albert Hofmann discovers the psychedelic effects of LSD.
- 1938 - In a letter to Max Horkheimer on April 16, 1938, Walter Benjamin wrote, ‘You may have seen Gide’s dispute with Céline “If one were forced to see in Bagatelles anything other than a game, it would be impossible to excuse Céline, in spite of all his genius, for stirring up banal passions with such cynicism and frivolous impertinence"
- 1992 Art rock article by Camille Paglia printed in the New York Times
- 1660 – Hans Sloane, Irish-English physician (d. 1753)
- 1755 – Louise Élisabeth Vigée Le Brun, French painter (d. 1842)
- 1821 – Ford Madox Brown, French-English painter (d. 1893)
- 1844 – Anatole France, French journalist, author, and poet, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1924)
- 1871 – John Millington Synge, Irish author, poet, and playwright (d. 1909)
- 1889 – Charlie Chaplin, English actor, director, producer, screenwriter, and composer (d. 1977)
- 1892 – Howard Mumford Jones, American writer (d. 1980)
- 1896 – Tristan Tzara, Romanian-French poet and critic (d. 1963)
- 1918 – Spike Milligan, Indian-Irish actor, singer, screenwriter, and author (d. 2002)
- 1919 – Merce Cunningham, American dancer and choreographer (d. 2009)
- 1921 – Peter Ustinov, English actor, director, producer, and screenwriter (d. 2004)
- 1922 – Kingsley Amis, English author, poet, and critic (d. 1995)
- 1924 – Henry Mancini, American composer and conductor (d. 1994)
- 1930 – Herbie Mann, American flute player (d. 2003)
- 1939 – Dusty Springfield, English singer and producer (The Lana Sisters and The Springfields) (d. 1999)
- 1955 – DJ Kool Herc, Jamaican American musician and producer, generally credited as a pioneer of hip hop
- 1689 - Aphra Behn, English dramatist (b. 1640)
- 1825 - Henry Fuseli was a British painter and illustrator (b. 1741)
- 1828 - Francisco de Goya, Spanish painter (b. 1746)
- 1970 - Richard Neutra, American architect (b. 1892)
- 1995 - Cy Endfield, American filmmaker (b. 1914)
- 1997 - Roland Topor, French illustrator (b. 1938)
Unless indicated otherwise, the text in this article is either based on Wikipedia article "April 16" or another language Wikipedia page thereof used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License; or on original research by Jahsonic and friends. See Art and Popular Culture's copyright notice.