From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
The Stroop Report is a 75-page official report prepared in May 1943 by Jürgen Stroop of the Waffen SS, commander of the German forces which liquidated the Warsaw ghetto, to Heinrich Himmler. It documented the suppression of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising. Originally titled "There is no longer a Jewish Quarter within Warsaw!", it is commonly referred to as "The Stroop Report".
The Report was commissioned by Friedrich Krüger, high SS and police leader in Krakow and was intended as a souvenir album for Heinrich Himmler. It was a typed document, bound in black pebble leather, with over 50 photographs accompanied by hand-written Gothic script captions. It consisted of three parts:
- an introduction and summary of SS operations
- a collection of all daily communiqués sent to SS Police Leader East Kruger
- a series of approximately 52 photographs.
The report was prepared in three distinct copies for Heinrich Himmler, Friedrich Krüger and Jürgen Stroop, and all three copies were recovered after the war. The reports, which bear slight discrepancies in textual layout, and in photos they contain, are currently located at the National Archives in Washington D.C., the Bundesarchiv in Koblenz, and the Institute of National Remembrance in Warsaw.
One of the copies was introduced as evidence at the International Military Tribunal in Nuremberg. It was first displayed by the chief US prosecutor Robert H. Jackson for the judges during his opening address. The assistant prosecutor dealing with the persecution of the Jews referred to it as "the finest example of ornate German craftsmanship, leather bound, profusely illustrated, typed on heavy bond paper ... the almost unbelievable recital of the proud accomplishment by Major General of Police Stroop."
Photographic captions in the Report are written in the German Sütterlin script.