From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- Paris Commune
- "To arrive at the unknown through the disordering of all the senses, that's the point." --"The Letters of the Seer", Arthur Rimbaud
- Primitive Culture by British ethnologist Edward Burnett Tylor is published. Building on the work of Charles De Brosses, Tylor considered fetishism to be a special case of animism.
- Robert Buchanan published "The Fleshly School of Poetry"
- Germany adopts Paragraph 175
- Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll
- Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll
- Marcel Proust (1871 – 1922)
- August Endell (1871 - 1925)
- Paul Valéry (1871 - 1945)
- Guglielmo Ferrero (1871–1942)
- Wilhelm Weitling (1808-1871)
- František Kupka (1871 - 1957)
- John Sloan (1871-1951)
- September 26 – Winsor McCay, American cartoonist, animator (d. 1934)
- November 3 - Hanns Heinz Ewers, German writer, actor, poet and philosopher.
- Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)