From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
1866 is a year of the 1860s.
Art and culture
- Octopus with the initials V. H., a drawing by Victor Hugo
- Anactoria by Swinburne
- Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
- The Slave Market by Jean-Léon Gérôme
- L'Origine du monde by Gustave Courbet, lost for years, it was first shown to the public in 1995.
- Félicien Rops produces the frontispiece for Baudelaire’s Les Épaves published by Poulet-Malassis
- Gustave Doré's illustrations for "Paradise Lost" by Milton are published.
- Study of a Seated Nude Woman Wearing Mask by Thomas Eakins
- Le Sommeil by Gustave Courbet
- The Worship of the Generative Powers by Thomas Wright