From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
"The first time that we met Baudelaire was towards the middle of the year 1849, at the Hotel Pimodan, where we occupied, near Fernand Boissard, a strange apartment which communicated with his by a private staircase hidden in the thickness of the wall, and which was haunted by the spirits of beautiful women loved long since by Lauzun."--Théophile Gautier's preface to Les Fleurs du mal
1849 was the 849th year of the 2nd millennium, the 49th year of the 19th century, and the 10th and last year of the 1840s decade.
Art and culture
- November 22 - La Vie de bohème, play by Murger staged at the Théâtre des Variétés
- The conscious act of artistically addressing all the senses with regard to the viewer’s experience in totality made a resounding debut in 1849 when Richard ...
- Sergeant Bertrand's arrest in 1849 came as a shock to his army comrades, for it was alleged, and proved at his trial, that for the past two years he had been in the habit ...
- Théophile Gautier (1811 - 1872)
- La première fois que nous rencontrâmes Baudelaire, ce fut vers le milieu de 1849 , à l'hôtel Pimodan, où nous occupions, près de Fernand Boissard, more ...
- Eccentric and Remarkable Characters (Frederick William Fairholt)
- Art and Revolution by Richard Wilhelm Wagner
- In May 1849 William Ewart Gladstone began his most active "rescue work" with "fallen women" and met prostitutes late at night either on the street, in his house or in their ...
- Frédéric Chopin (1810-1849)
- Edward Hicks (1780-1849)
- Katsushika Hokusai (1760 - 1849)
- Edgar Allan Poe (1809 - 1849)