List of reptilian humanoids
From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
(Redirected from Reptilian humanoid)
Reptilian humanoids in world mythology include:
- Boreas (Aquilon to the Romans): the Greek god of the cold north wind, described by Pausanias as a winged man with serpents instead of legs.
- Cecrops I: the mythical first King of Athens was half man, half snake
- Dragon Kings: creatures from Chinese mythology sometimes depicted as reptilian humanoids
- Fu Xi: serpentine founding figure from Chinese mythology
- Glycon: a snake god who had the head of a man.
- Ningizzida, Lord of the Tree of Life, mentioned in the Epic of Gilgamesh and linked to the water serpent constellation Hydra.
- Quetzalcoatl or the "feathered serpent", the creator god and sky god of the Aztecs; variously depicted as a man, a serpent, or a reptilian humanoid.
- Sobek: Ancient Egyptian crocodile-headed god
- Shenlong: a Chinese dragon thunder god, depicted with a human head and a dragon's body
- Typhon, the "father of all monsters" in Greek mythology, was a man from the waist up, and a mass of seething vipers from the waist down.
- Zahhak, a figure from Zoroastrian mythology who, in Ferdowsi's epic Shahnameh, grows a serpent on either shoulder
- Cihuacoatl, literally "Snake Woman", an Aztec goddess
- Echidna, the wife of Typhon in Greek mythology, was half woman, half snake.
- The Gorgons: Sisters in Greek mythology who had serpents for hair.
- The Lamia: a child-devouring female demon from Greek mythology depicted as half woman, half serpent.
- Nüwa: serpentine founding figure from Chinese mythology
- Wadjet pre-dynastic snake goddess of Lower Egypt - sometimes depicted as half snake/woman
- The White Snake: a figure from Chinese folklore
- Some djinn in Islamic mythology are described as alternating between human and serpentine forms.
- Nāga (Devanagari: नाग): reptilian beings from Hindu mythology said to live underground and interact with human beings on the surface.
- The Serpent: a character from the Genesis creation narrative occasionally depicted with legs, and sometimes identified with Satan, though its representations have been both male and female.
Purported reptilian humanoid cryptids include:
- The Cherufe in Chile
- The Lizard Man of Scape Ore Swamp in South Carolina, USA
- The Loveland Frog (or Loveland Lizard), in Loveland, Ohio, USA
- The Thetis Lake monster in Canada
In ufology and conspiracy theories
- Reptilians appear in some claims of alien encounters and in the conspiracy theories of David Icke
- Lemurians, reptilian humanoids in the writings of Helena Blavatsky
In scientific speculation
A wide range of fictional works depict reptilian humanoids.
- Dracs from the Enemy Mine series by Barry B. Longyear.
- Evra Von from Darren Shan's "Saga of Darren Shan"
- Hork-Bajir from K. A. Applegate's Animorphs
- The Lady of the Green Kirtle from CS Lewis's The Silver Chair
- An Unnamed race from H.P. Lovecraft's The Nameless City - later Cthulhu Mythos tales have named these the Valusians or simply "serpent people".
- The Race from Harry Turtledove's Worldwar series
- Serpent men from the works of Robert E. Howard (also in the Marvel universe)
- Cobra-La, and Cobra Commander from the G. I. Joe series
- Drakh from Babylon 5
- Scarrans from Farscape
- Sleestaks from Land of the Lost
- Snake Men, from Masters of the Universe
- Visitors from V
- Unas from Stargate
- The Lizard, an enemy of Spider-Man
- Sauron, an enemy of the X-Men
- Skrulls, an alien race of reptilian shapeshifters
- Badoon, another hostile alien race
- Slither, a snakelike mutant and ally of Magneto
- Copperhead, some versions
- Gordanians, a species of alien reptilian slavers
- Killer Croc, an enemy of Batman
- Kleggs, alien mercenaries in the Judge Dredd universe.
- The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and their ally/foe Leatherhead
- Treens from Dan Dare
Roleplaying and strategy games
- Argonians, a race in the game franchise The Elder Scrolls
- Bangaa, a race in the game series of Final Fantasy
- Drell, a race in the Mass Effect series
- Lizardfolk, kobolds, saurial, troglodytes and Yuan-ti from Dungeons & Dragons
- Slithzerikai, in the Avernum series.
- Lizalfos and Daira from the Legend of Zelda series.
- Iksar, a race from the Everquest franchise.
- Reptites from Chrono Trigger
- Saurians from Risen
Platform and fighting games
- Bowser from Super Mario Bros.
- Lizardman, a character from the Soul series of fighting games
- Locust Horde, the primary antagonists in the game franchise Gears of War
- Reptile, a character in the game Mortal Kombat
- Riptor, a character from the fighting video game Killer Instinct
- Chameleon, a character in the game Mortal Kombat
- Morphs, from the Flashback and Fade to Black video games.
- List of piscine and amphibian humanoids
- List of avian humanoids
- List of fictional extraterrestrials
Unless indicated otherwise, the text in this article is either based on Wikipedia article "List of reptilian humanoids" or another language Wikipedia page thereof used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License; or on original research by Jahsonic and friends. See Art and Popular Culture's copyright notice.