From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1911 - Theft of the Mona Lisa is discovered.
- 2004 - A version of The Scream and Madonna, two paintings by Edvard Munch, are stolen at gunpoint from a museum in Oslo, Norway.
- 1822 - Virginia Clemm Poe, wife of Edgar Allan Poe (d. 1847)
- 1862 - Claude Debussy, French composer (d. 1918)
- 1893 - Dorothy Parker, American writer (d. 1967)
- 1902 - Leni Riefenstahl, German film director (d. 2003)
- 1903 - René Wellek, Czech-German literary theorist (d. 1995)
- 1908 - Henri Cartier-Bresson, French photographer (d. 2004)
- 1917 - John Lee Hooker, American guitarist and singer (d. 2001)
- 1928 - Karlheinz Stockhausen, German composer (d. 2007)
- 1806 - Jean-Honoré Fragonard, French artist (b. 1732)
- 1860 - Alexandre-Gabriel Decamps, French painter (The Monkey Connoisseurs) (b. 1803)
- 1904 - Kate Chopin, American author (b. 1850)
- 1920 - Anders Zorn, Swedish painter (b. 1860)
- 1970 - Vladimir Propp, Russian structuralist scholar (b. 1895)
- 1981 - Glauber Rocha, Brazilian filmmaker (Deus e o Diabo na Terra do Sol) (b. 1938)
- 1989 - Huey P. Newton, American activist (b. 1942)
- 2005 - Luc Ferrari, French composer (b. 1929)
Unless indicated otherwise, the text in this article is either based on Wikipedia article "August 22" or another language Wikipedia page thereof used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License; or on original research by Jahsonic and friends. See Art and Popular Culture's copyright notice.