From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Prestige may also refer to:
- Prestige Records, American record label
- Prestige (Daddy Yankee album), a 2012 album by Daddy Yankee
- The Prestige, 1995 novel by Christopher Priest
- The Prestige (film), a 2006 American film directed by Christopher Nolan
- Prestige (1932 film), a 1932 American film directed by Tay Garnett
From French prestige (“illusion, fascination, enchantment, prestige”)
, from Latin praestigium (“a delusion, an illusion”) , from praestinguere (“to obscure, extinguish”) , from prae (“before”) + stinguere (“to extinguish”); or , from praestringere (“to blind; to blindfold; to dazzle or confuse someone”) , from prae (“before”) + stringere (“to press, tighten, compress”).
Note: despite the phonetic similarities and prestige's old meaning of "delusion, illusion, trick", the word has a different root than prestidigitator and prestidigitation.