From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
The life of the historical Mary Magdalene is the subject of ongoing debate, while the less-obscure development of the "penitent Megdalene", as the most beloved medieval female saint after Mary, both as an exemplar for the theological discussion of penitence and a social parable for the position and custody of women.
In film and literature
- Abel Ferrara's 2005 film Mary: French actress Juliette Binoche stars as an actress impersonating Mary Magdalene.
- Andrew Lloyd Webber rock opera Jesus Christ Superstar
- The novel and movie The Last Temptation of Christ
- Dan Brown's novel and later movie The Da Vinci Code (2006)
In visual art
- Mary Magdalene as fallen woman
- Mary Magdalene as a penitent
- Mary Magdalene was the wife of Jesus
- Fallen woman
- Hooker with a heart of gold