Beyond Good and Evil (film)
From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Beyond Good and Evil (Italian original title:Al di là del bene e del male ) is a 1977 drama film directed by Liliana Cavani. It stars Dominique Sanda , Erland Josephson and Robert Powell. The film follows the intense relationship formed in the 1880s between Friedrich Nietzsche, Lou Salome and Paul Rée.
The film features the Lou Salomé reins Friedrich Nietzsche and Paul Ree in front of her cart scene.
This is the second part of "The German Trilogy" directed by Liliana Cavani. In The Night Porter she described connection between perversion and fascism. This time she describes life of Friedrich Nietzsche, a German philosopher who wrote Thus Spoke Zarathustra, Beyond Good and Evil and spent more than a decade in a state of insanity.
- Dominique Sanda - Lou Salome
- Erland Josephson – Friedrich Nietzsche
- Robert Powell – Paul Rée
- Virna Lisi – Elisabeth Nietzsche
- Philippe Leroy – Peter Gast
- Elisa Cegani - Franziska Nietzsche
- Umberto Orsini - Bernhard Förster
- Michael Degen - Carl Andreas
- Amedeo Amodio – Doctor Dulcamara
- Carmen Scarpitta - Malvida
- Clara Algranti – Madame Thérèse