From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Yuri Landman made his debut in the comics field in 1997 with 'Je Mag Alles Met Me Doen' (in Dutch). In the follow-up, released in 1998, 'Het Verdiende Loon', Landman described his negative experiences on a daily job. For the second title he received the Price from Breda 1998, an award for rising new comic artists in Holland. Since then he has published no other comic books.
Together with Cees van Appeldoorn, he formed the lo-fi band Zoppo. After 2 albums and several 7”singles, Landman left the band. Landman then formed the noise band Avec Aisance (aka Avec-A) with drummer/producer Valentijn Höllander and released a CD, Vivre dans l’aisance.
Music instrument builder
During his period in Zoppo, Yuri played bass and prepared guitar. Landman began creating and building several experimental string instruments. Yuri Landman started making experimental instruments out of wood salvaged from furniture and door frames. He used hardware salvaged from old guitars as well as audio equipment, printers, and other electronic stuff.
In the period 2000-2005 Landman created 9 prototypes.
- The black 4-string movable 3rd bridge zither.
- The red capozither, shown on the cover of Vivre dans l’aisance.
- Robocop, a 6 string heavily adjusted guitar with 2 additional bridges and 3 outputs.
- The 12 string overtonezither, the first prototype of Aaron Hemphill’s Moodswinger.
- The blonde 3 string stereo-guitar, 1 bassstring tuned B, and 2 thin B tuned guitarstrings.
- The green 7 string trio-guitar, 1 bassstring, DAD tuned guitarstring and 3 G#-strings.
- The Electric Spring"
- The electric cymbalum, 72 strings, 12 pickups, one for each tone.
- The blue 4 string supertremolo-guitar, with no fretboard, but an adjustable pitchcontroll for the left hand.
Instruments for other bands
main article: Moodswinger
In March 2006 Landman contacted The Liars to make an instrument for them. After 6 months he finished 2 copies of The Moodswinger, an electric 12 string 3rd Bridge overtone koto, one for guitarist/drummer Aaron Hemphill and one for himself.
main article: Moonlander
In November 2006 Landman contacted Sonic Youth to make an instrument for them. After 3 months he finished 2 copies of The Moonlander, a biheaded electric 18-string drone guitar, one for guitarist Lee Ranaldo and one for himself.
main article: Bachelor QS
He also made experimental instruments for John Schmersal of Enon, Mauro Pawlowski of dEUS, Lou Barlow, Liam Finn, Finn Andrews of The Veils, Blood Red Shoes. Names of these instruments are the Tafelberg drum guitar, Twister, Burner Harp guitar.
- Je Mag Alles Met Me Doen (1997) (in Dutch)
- Het Verdiende Loon (1998) (in Dutch)
- Chi pratica lo impare zoppicare (1998)
- Nontonnen promo 7" (1998)
- Double the fun splitt 7" (1999)
- Belgian Style Pop (1999)
- Flooded made by Dan Geesin (1999)
with Avec Aisance
- Vivre dans l'aisance (2004)