From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
- A word used to show agreement or acceptance.
- Yes, you are correct.
- Yes, you may go to the bathroom now.
- A word used to indicate disagreement or dissent in reply to a negative statement.
- — It wasn't my fault we lost the race.
- — Oh yes it was!
- Dialect or archaic forms: yea, aye, ay
- Nautical, military, telecommunications: affirmative
- Colloquial or slang forms: yah, yep, yeppers, yeah, yup, yuppers, yus, ya, ye.
- Standard form: no
- Nautical, military, telecommunications: negative
- Dialect or archaic forms: nay
- Colloquial or slang forms: nah, naw, nope, ixnay