From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
For example a dictionary may have over 50 different meanings of the word play, each of these having a different meaning based on the context of the word usage in a sentence. For example:
- "We went to see the play Romeo and Juliet at the theater."
- "The children went out to play in the park."
In each sentence we associate a different meaning of the word "play" based on hints the rest of the sentence gives us.
Computers or people that read words one a time must use a process called word sense disambiguation to find the correct meaning of a word.
- semantics - study of meaning
- lexical semantics - the study of what the words of a language denote and how it is that they do this
- sememe - unit of meaning
- linguistics - the scientific study of language, which can be theoretical or applied.
- sense and reference