White women (mythology)
From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
White woman in mythology and folklore can have various meanings, that vary by culture:
- Witte Wieven (Dutch: white women), a type of female spirit
- Weisse Frauen (German: white women), a type of female spirit
- Dames Blanches (folklore) (French: white ladies), a type of female spirit
- White Lady (ghost), a common description around world for a female ghost.
White women in myths and folklore with specific names:
- Alvinne, French folklore, ghost in white cloak
- Berchta (Bertha, Perchta), female entity, Germanic myth and lore
- La Llorona, female ghost in Latin America, sometimes called The Woman in White
- Mademoiselle Charlotte, Haitian Vodun loa
Unless indicated otherwise, the text in this article is either based on Wikipedia article "White women (mythology)" or another language Wikipedia page thereof used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License; or on original research by Jahsonic and friends. See Art and Popular Culture's copyright notice.