Use of the Guillotine in Paris
From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
The first use of the guillotine in Paris was on April 25, 1792. The condemned was Nicolas Jacques Pellerier. He was executed in front of what is now the city hall of Paris, (Place de l'hôtel de ville). All those condemned were from then on executed there, until the scaffold was moved on August 21 to the Place du Carrousel.
After the French Revolution, the executions began again in the city centre. On February 4, 1832, the guillotine was installed behind the church of Saint Jacques, before being moved, again, to the Grande Roquette prison, on November 29, 1851.
On August 6, 1909, the guillotine was used on the junction of Arago Boulevard and Rue de la Santé, behind the prison which bears the same name.