Ulysses (1967 film)
From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Starring Milo O'Shea as Leopold Bloom, Barbara Jefford as Molly Bloom, Maurice Roëves as Stephen Dedalus, T. P. McKenna as Buck Mulligan and Sheila O' Sullivan as May Golding Dedalus, it was adapted by Fred Haines and Joseph Strick, and directed by Strick.
There have been other movies based on Ulysses but this one stands out for its fidelity to the book and the fact that almost the entire screenplay is taken from lines in the book. It was perhaps the first motion picture to use the word "fuck" (another contender being I'll Never Forget What's'isname).
In New Zealand, screeners were required to show the film before gender-segregated audiences. It was not approved for general release in the Republic of Ireland until 2000; however, it was screened at the Irish Film Institute (a private film club) in the 1970s.
The film was entered into the 1967 Cannes Film Festival.
- Barbara Jefford - Molly Bloom
- Milo O'Shea - Leopold Bloom
- Maurice Roëves - Stephen Dedalus
- T. P. McKenna - Buck Mulligan
- Martin Dempsey - Simon Dedalus
- Sheila O'Sullivan - May Golding Dedalus
- Graham Lines - Haines
- Peter Mayock - Jack Power
- Fionnula Flanagan - Gerty MacDowell
- Anna Manahan - Bella Cohen
- Maureen Toal - Zoe Higgins
- Maureen Potter - Josie Breen
- Chris Curran - Myles Crawford
- Maire Hastings - Mary Driscoll
- Eddie Golden - Martin Cunningham