From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Language and writing
- Tone (linguistics), the use of pitch in language to distinguish words
- Tone (literature), the mood or feeling of a literary work, as the author gives
- A specific pitch.
- (in the diatonic scale) An interval of a major second.
- (in a Gregorian chant) A recitational melody.
- The character of a sound, especially the timbre of an instrument or voice.
- The pitch of a word that distinguishes a difference in meaning, for example in Chinese.
- The manner in which speech or writing is expressed.
- The shade or quality of a colour.
- The definition and firmness of a muscle or organ.