From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
The Temmler Werke GmbH was founded in Detmold in 1917 by commercial counsellor Hermann Temmler. The establishment of a subsidiary in Berlin followed shortly after. Preparations for the treatment and alleviation of respiratory diseases became the hallmark of Temmler Pharma.
As of 1933, the company, with expanded production facilities, concentrated its business activities exclusively around the Berlin area. In 1938, a Temmler chemist in Berlin synthesised Pervitin (methamphetamine), which was then manufactured and publicly sold as a stimulant and drug for psychiatry.
In 1945 the facility in East Berlin was occupied and disassembled. The company had to be completely reassembled in Hamburg.
In 1960 the whole company transferred from Hamburg to Marburg.
The Hessian state government awarded the complex, an area of about 40,000 m² of production and administration facilities, a prize for functional and architectural design.
In 1967 the production and storage facilities were extended.
In 1971 a new laboratory building was erected for the manufacture of pharmaceutical dosage forms and active ingredients for controlled release. It became possible, for example, to produce medicinal products in the form of retard pellets releasing their active ingredients when required and over a longer period of time.
In 1982, these retard preparations marked the beginning of contract manufacturing, initially for foreign firms only.
Commencing 1989 the production also comprised all solid pharmaceutical dosage forms for customers at home and abroad.
In 1990 Temmler Pharma became part of the ASTA Medica group. Besides medicinal products for gastroenterology and migraine/pain, pulmology become the focal point of the preparations programme.
In 1998 Temmler Pharma took over 17 established products, thus extending its product range to include pharmaceutical preparations for the treatment of central nervous system disorders.
Since 1999 Temmler Pharma is once again in private hands.
In 2004 the laboratory building was extended by adding two additional floors to 2,500 m², thus laying the foundation for further growth in the field of pharmaceutical development and contract manufacturing services.
A complex comprising 1,380 m² housing production facilities to meet future GMP and FDA standards was erected in 2005. Solid pharmaceutical dosage forms, such as tablets and capsules, and particularly retard formulations, are manufactured at this site.
2007 The acquisition of three European production sites (Germany, Ireland, Italy) from the Japanese pharmaceutical company Astellas on January 1 led to the formation of the Temmler Group, considerably extending production capacities and technological possibilities.
The Temmler Group acquires two further production sites in Feldkirchen and Bruckmühl.
2008 With the acquisition of the SwissCo group, based in Sisseln, Switzerland, the Temmler group further develops its competence in the processing of moisture sensitive active substances. The production of effervescent tablets is the chief work of SwissCo.
Today Temmler is one of the leading contract manufacturers in the pharmaceutical industry.