From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Edward James Hughes OM (17 August 1930 – 28 October 1998) was an English poet and children's writer, known as Ted Hughes. Critics routinely rank him as one of the best poets of his generation. Hughes was British Poet Laureate from 1984 until his death.
Hughes was married from 1956 to 1963 to the American poet Sylvia Plath, who committed suicide in 1963 at the age of 30. His part in the relationship became controversial, to some feminists and (particularly) US admirers of Plath, who even accused him of murder. Hughes himself never publicly entered the debate, but his last poetic work, Birthday Letters (1998), explored their complex relationship, and to many, put him in a significantly better light.
- 1957 The Hawk in the Rain
- 1960 Lupercal
- 1967 Wodwo
- 1970 Crow: From the Life and the Songs of the Crow
- 1972 Selected Poems 1957-1967
- 1975 Cave Birds
- 1977 Gaudete
- 1979 Remains of Elmet (with photographs by Fay Godwin)
- 1979 Moortown
- 1983 River
- 1986 Flowers and Insects
- 1989 Wolfwatching
- 1992 Rain-charm for the Duchy
- 1994 New Selected Poems 1957-1994
- 1997 Tales from Ovid
- 1998 Birthday Letters — winner of the 1998 Forward Poetry Prize for best collection, the 1998 T. S. Eliot Prize, and the 1999 British Book of the Year award.
- 2003 Collected Poems
Volumes of translation
- Spring Awakening by Frank Wedekind
- Blood Wedding by Federico García Lorca
- 1977 Amen by Yehuda Amichai, Amen, Harper (New York, NY)
- 1968 Yehuda Amichai, Selected Poems Cape Goliard Press (London, England), revised edition published as Poems, Harper (New York, NY), 1969.
- 1997 Tales from Ovid by Ovid Farrar, Straus, and Giroux (New York, NY)
- 1999 The Oresteia by Aeschylus, Farrar, Straus, and Giroux (New York, NY)
- 1999 Phèdre by Jean Racine, Farrar, Straus, and Giroux (New York, NY),
- 1999 Alcestis by Euripides, Farrar, Straus, and Giroux (New York, NY)
Anthologies edited by Hughes
- Selected Poems of Emily Dickinson
- Selected Poems of Sylvia Plath
- Selected Verse of Shakespeare
- A Choice of Coleridge's Verse
- The Rattle Bag (edited with Séamus Heaney)
- The School Bag (edited with Séamus Heaney)
- By Heart: 101 Poems to Remember
- The Mays
Short story collection
- 1995 The Dreamfighter, and Other Creation Tales. Faber and Faber (London, England)
- 1995 Difficulties of a Bridegroom: Collected Short Stories. Picador (New York, NY)
- 1967 Poetry in the Making: An Anthology of Poems and Programmes from "Listening and Writing. Faber (London) 1967.
- 1992 Shakespeare and the Goddess of Complete Being Farrar, Straus, and Giroux (New York)
- 1993 A Dancer to God Tributes to T. S. Eliot. (Editor) Farrar, Straus, and Giroux (New York)
- 1994 Winter Pollen: Occasional Prose. (Essay collection) . Edited by William Scammell, Faber (London). Picador USA (New York) 1995.
Books for children
- Meet my Folks!
- How the Whale Became
- The Earth Owl and Other Moon-People
- Nessie the Mannerless Monster
- 1970 Poetry Is
- The Iron Man
- Coming of the Kings and Other Plays
- Season Songs
- Under the North Star
- Ffangs the Vampire Bat and the Kiss of Truth
- Tales of the Early World
- The Iron Woman
- The Dreamfighter and Other Creation Tales
- Collected Animal Poems: Vols. 1–4
- The Mermaid's Purse
- The Cat and the Cuckoo
- The House of Aries (radio play), broadcast, 1960.
- The Calm produced in Boston, MA, 1961.
- A Houseful of Women (radio play), broadcast, 1961.
- The Wound (radio play; also see below), broadcast, 1962
- Difficulties of a Bridegroom (radio play), broadcast, 1963.
- Epithalamium produced in London, 1963.
- Dogs (radio play), broadcast, 1964.
- The House of Donkeys (radio play), broadcast, 1965.
- The Head of Gold (radio play), broadcast, 1967.
- The Coming of the Kings and Other Plays (juvenile)
- The Price of a Bride (juvenile; radio play), broadcast, 1966.
- Adapted Seneca's Oedipus (produced in London 1968)
- Orghast produced in Persepolis, Iran, 1971.
- Eat Crow Rainbow Press (London, England), 1971.
- The Iron Man (based on his juvenile book; televised, 1972).
- Orpheus 1973.
- The Burning of the Brothel (Turret Books, 1966)
- Recklings (Turret Books, 1967)
- Scapegoats and Rabies (Poet & Printer, 1967)
- Animal Poems (Richard Gilbertson, 1967)
- A Crow Hymn (Sceptre Press, 1970)
- The Martyrdom of Bishop Farrar (Richard Gilbertson, 1970)
- Crow Wakes (Poet & Printer, 1971)
- Shakespeare's Poem (Lexham Press, 1971)
- Eat Crow (Rainbow Press, 1971)
- Prometheus on His Crag (Rainbow Press, 1973)
- Crow: From the Life and the Songs of the Crow (Illustrated by Leonard Baskin, published by Faber & Faber, 1973)
- Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter (Rainbow Press,1974)
- Cave Birds (Illustrated by Leonard Baskin, published by Scolar Press, 1975)
- Earth-Moon (Illustrated by Ted Hughes, published by Rainbow Press, 1976)
- Eclipse (Sceptre Press, 1976)
- Sunstruck (Sceptre Press, 1977)
- A Solstice (Sceptre Press, 1978)
- Orts (Rainbow Press, 1978)
- Moortown Elegies (Rainbow Press, 1978)
- The Threshold (Illustrated by Ralph Steadman, published by Steam Press, 1979)
- Adam and the Sacred Nine (Rainbow Press, 1979)
- Four Tales Told by an Idiot (Sceptre Press, 1979)
- The Cat and the Cuckoo (Illustrated by R.J. Lloyd, published by Sunstone Press, 1987)
- A Primer of Birds: Poems (Illustrated by Leonard Baskin, published by Gehenna Press, 1989)
- Capriccio (Illustrated by Leonard Baskin, published by Gehenna Press, 1990)
- The Mermaid's Purse (Illustrated by R.J. Lloyd, published by Sunstone Press, 1993)
- Howls and Whispers (Illustrated by Leonard Baskin, published by Gehenna Press, 1998)