Summer Breeze (song)
From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Seals & Crofts version
Released off the Summer Breeze album, Seals & Crofts' original version reached number six on the U.S. pop singles chart. Bruce Eder of Allmusic referred to it as "one of those relentlessly appealing 1970s harmony-rock anthems," "appropriately ubiquitous on the radio and in the memory". One of the distinctive backing instruments on Summer Breeze is a child's toy piano. The single reached #6 pop, #4 easy listening in the Billboard magazine charts.
The song was used in the 1993 cult film Dazed and Confused, and appeared on the second soundtrack to the film, 1994's "Even More Dazed and Confused." It was also used in the 2007 film King of California, starring Evan Rachel Wood and Michael Douglas.
The track was remixed by Philip Steir and Ramin Sakurai in 2004 as part of What Is Hip? Remix Project Volume One, an album featuring remixes of Warner Bros. Records 1970s hits . This updated version, titled "Summer Breeze (Tsuper Tsunami Mix)", was also featured in two 2004 commercials by clothing retailer Gap starring models Bridget Hall and Jessica Miller respectively.
- Jim Seals: lead & background vocals, saxophone and guitar
- Dash Crofts: background vocals and electric guitar
- Larry Knechtel: piano
- Jim Gordon: drums
Isley Brothers version
The song was covered in a harder rock/soulful style by The Isley Brothers as a single in 1974. Issued also on their 1973 album, 3 + 3, it reached number sixty on the pop singles chart, number ten on the R&B singles chart, and number sixteen on the UK singles chart. The Isleys' version is notable not only for the harmonies of the three vocal Isleys O'Kelly, Rudolph and lead singer Ronald but also for the guitar solo by younger brother Ernie.
- Ronald Isley: lead and background vocals
- O'Kelly Isley, Jr. and Rudolph Isley: background vocals
- Ernie Isley: electric and acoustic guitar & percussion
- Marvin Isley: bass guitar and percussion
- Chris Jasper: piano, keyboards
- George Moreland: drums, percussion
Type O Negative version
Metal band Type O Negative recorded a slower, Doom Metal version of the song for their album Bloody Kisses, and this version was featured during the opening credits of the 1997 horror film I Know What You Did Last Summer.
- George Benson & Al Jarreau (collaboration)
- Jason Mraz
- Three Tenors during their 1996 farewell performance at the Coach and Horses Tavern in Windsor, Ontario
- Spiral featuring Lisa Lamb, later the vocalist with Peach Union
- Nicki Richards
- Jackie Mittoo
- Shaw Blades (Tommy Shaw and Jack Blades), on their 2007 album Influence
- Main Ingredient
- Jed Madela , Only Human Album
- Sampled by Aphrodite – Drum&Bass Remix – Summer Breeze
- Sampled by The Whitlams – I Make Hamburgers
- Remade/Sampled by Jody Breeze - So Fly (Feat. Claudette Ortiz)