From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Substance intoxication is a type of substance-induced disorder which is potentially maladaptive and impairing, but reversible, and associated with recent use Usually known by colloquial terms such as 'high', 'stoned', 'baked', 'blazed', etc.
If the symptoms are severe, the term "substance intoxication delirium" may be used.
Examples (and ICD-10 code) include:
- F10.0 alcohol intoxication
- F11.0 opioid intoxication
- F12.0 cannabinoid intoxication
- F13.0 sedative and hypnotic intoxication (see benzodiazepine overdose and barbiturate overdose)
- F14.0 cocaine intoxication
- F15.0 caffeine intoxication
- F16.0 hallucinogen intoxication
- F17.0 stimulant intoxication
The term contact high is sometimes used to describe intoxication without direct administration.
- Spins, a state of dizziness and disorientation due to intoxication.