From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
- To lengthen by pulling.
- I stretched the rubber band until it almost broke.
- To lengthen when pulled.
- The rubber band stretched almost to the breaking point.
- To pull tight.
- First, stretch the skin over the frame of the drum.
- To get more use than expected from a limited resource.
- I managed to stretch my coffee supply a few more days.
- To be inaccurate by exaggeration.
- To say crossing the street was brave is stretching the meaning of "brave" considerably.
- To extend from limit point to limit point.
- The beach stretches from Cresswell to Amble.
- To extend one’s limbs or body in order to stretch the muscles.
- Cats stretch with equal ease and agility beyond the point that breaks a man on the rack.