St. Andrew's Church, Antwerp  

From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Related e

Google
Wikipedia
Wiktionary
Wiki Commons
Wikiquote
Wikisource
YouTube
Shop


Featured:
Train wreck at Montparnasse (October 22, 1895) by Studio Lévy and Sons.
Enlarge
Train wreck at Montparnasse (October 22, 1895) by Studio Lévy and Sons.

St. Andrew’s Church is a 16th-century-built late-Gothic/late-Baroque style Catholic church in Antwerp, Belgium and the parish church of the Parish of St. Andrew’s of that city.

History

The church was built in the 16th century by Augustine friars who had built a convent at the same location earlier that century. The convent's chapel was expanded and then consecrated as a parish church in 1529.

In 1549, city politician and ecclesiastic, Nicolaas Beukelaer, endowed the church with a prebendary to assist with the administration of the church.

Many of the church's furnishings are distinctly baroque in style, earlier pieces having been destroyed during the Iconoclast and later during the French Revolution. Many of the church's features were restored in the 1970s.

Church art

At least one engraving by Desiderius Erasmus has survived and remains in the church - an image of the Guardian Angel.

In 2001, the church's 1585-installed statue of the Virgin Mary (referred to as Our Lady of Succour and Victory) was dressed in modern clothing designed by fashion designer Ann Demeulemeester to commemorate Antwerp's "Fashion Year".



Unless indicated otherwise, the text in this article is either based on Wikipedia article "St. Andrew's Church, Antwerp" or another language Wikipedia page thereof used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License; or on original research by Jahsonic and friends. See Art and Popular Culture's copyright notice.

Personal tools