Deaths in 2012
From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
- Louis le Brocquy, 95, Irish artist.
- Amos Vogel, 91, Austrian-born American founder of the New York Film Festival and Cinema 16.
- Chris Ethridge, 65, American country rock bassist, (International Submarine Band and The Flying Burrito Brothers).
- Levon Helm, 71, American musician (The Band) and actor (Coal Miner's Daughter), throat cancer.
- Dick Clark, 82, American TV and radio host (American Bandstand, heart attack.
- William Finley, 69, American actor.
- Andrew Love, 70, American saxophonist (The Memphis Horns).
- Cynthia Dall, American musician.
- Rikiya Yasuoka, 64, Japanese actor and singer.
- Barney McKenna, 72, Irish musician (The Dubliners).
- Claude Miller, 70, French director, producer, and screenwriter.
- Harry Crews, 76, American author, neuropathy.
- Adrienne Rich, 82, American lesbian feminist poet and essayist, complications of rheumatoid arthritis.
- Warren Stevens, 92, American actor (Forbidden Planet, The Barefoot Contessa), lung disease.
- Hilton Kramer, 84, American art critic.
- Robert Fuest, 84, English film director.
- Tonino Guerra, 92, Italian poet and screenwriter (L'Avventura, L'eclisse, Blowup, Amarcord).
- Michel Duchaussoy, 73, French actor, cardiac arrest.
- Sid Couchey, 92, American comic book artist, Burkitt's lymphoma.
- Jean Giraud, 73, French comic book artist (Blueberry, Métal Hurlant) and production designer (Tron, Alien).
- Jimmy Ellis, 74, American lead singer (The Trammps).
- Pierre Tornade, 82, French actor.
- Félicien Marceau, 98, French novelist, member of the Académie française.
- Lucio Dalla, 68, Italian singer-songwriter and musician, heart attack.
- Davy Jones, 66, British actor and musician (The Monkees), heart attack.
- Winston Riley, 65, Jamaican reggae musician and producer, complications of shooting.
- Erland Josephson, 88, Swedish actor and author.
- Louisiana Red, 79, American blues musician.
- Red Holloway, 84, American jazz saxophonist, sideman to Etta James, stroke and kidney failure.
- Peter Halliday, 87, Welsh actor.
- Kenneth Price, 77, American ceramics artist, cancer.
- Pery Ribeiro, 74, Brazilian singer.
- Mike Melvoin, 74, American jazz pianist and composer, cancer.
- Barney Rosset, 89, American publisher (Grove Press) and free speech advocate.
- Michael Davis, 68, American bassist (MC5), liver failure.
- Dory Previn, 86, American singer-songwriter (Mythical Kings and Iguanas) and lyricist (Valley of the Dolls, Last Tango in Paris).
- Lillian Bassman, 94, American photographer.
- David Kelly, 82, Irish actor (Strumpet City, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory).
- Whitney Houston, 48, American singer and actress.
- Robert Hecht, Jr., 92, American antiquities dealer.
- Luis Alberto Spinetta, 62, Argentine musician (Almendra, Pescado Rabioso), lung cancer.
- Sergio Larraín, 81, Chilean photographer.
- Wando, 66, Brazilian singer, cardiorespiratory arrest.
- Antoni Tàpies, 88, Spanish painter.
- Yasuhiro Ishimoto, 90, Japanese photographer, complications following pneumonia and a stroke.
- Bill Hinzman, 75, American actor (Night of the Living Dead)
- Ben Gazzara, 81, American actor (Tales of Ordinary Madness), pancreatic cancer.
- Zalman King, 69, American film director (Wild Orchid) and producer (9½ Weeks).
- Dorothy Gilman, 88, American spy novelist, (The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax), complications of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Mike Kelley, 57, American artist and musician (Destroy All Monsters), suicide. (body found on this date)
- Dorothea Tanning, 101, American surrealist painter, printmaker and sculptor.
- Wisława Szymborska, 88, Polish poet, Nobel Prize in Literature (1996).
- Don Cornelius, 75, American television host (Soul Train), self-inflicted gunshot.
- King Stitt, 71, Jamaican singer.
- Ian Abercrombie, 77, English actor (Young Frankenstein).
- Vadim Glowna, 70, German actor and film director.
- Theodoros Angelopoulos, 76, Greek film director, injuries from being hit by motorcycle.
- Etta James, 73, American singer ("At Last"), leukemia.
- Rudi van Dantzig, 78, Dutch choreographer.
- Johnny Otis, 90, American R&B singer-songwriter.
- Jimmy Castor, 64, American funk and R&B saxophonist ("Troglodyte (Cave Man)").
- Carlo Fruttero, 85, Italian writer.
- Eve Arnold, 99, American photographer.
- Frederica Sagor Maas, 111, American playwright, screenwriter, memoirist and author.
Unless indicated otherwise, the text in this article is either based on Wikipedia article "Deaths in 2012" or another language Wikipedia page thereof used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License; or on original research by Jahsonic and friends. See Art and Popular Culture's copyright notice.