September 6, 2012
From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
My friend Paul Rumsey alerted me to this recently discovered Rowlandson watercolor.
Here is a bit of Villon's "Ballade de la belle heaumière aux filles de joie":
- And you, Blanche Slippermaker fair,
- I'd have you see yourselves in me :
- Look all to right and left take ye ;
- Disdain no man ; for whores that bin
- Old have nor course nor currency,
- No more than money that's called in. tr. John Payne
Other interesting finds include the woodcut "[The Three Hanged Men, from 'Oeuvres' by Francois Villon (1431-63) Pierre Levet, published 1489 (woodcut)]" [] and this other engraving or woodcut from Villon's oeuvre.