From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
An alter ego (Latin, "the other I") is a second self, a second personality or persona within a person. It was created in the early 19th century when people first discovered schizophrenia. The term is commonly used in literature analysis and comparison to describe characters who are psychologically identical. The term and concept also frequently appear in popular fiction, such as in comic books, for the secret identity of a superhero, vigilante, or crimefighter. Related concepts include avatar, doppelgänger, impersonator, and split personality.
Alter egos in popular culture
- Makaveli, alter ego of rapper Tupac Shakur.
- Humpty Hump, alter ego of Shock G, member of the group Digital Underground and co-producer of Tupac Shakur's debut album 2Pacalypse Now.
- Yami Yugi, alter ego of Yugi on TV show Yu-Gi-Oh!.
- Shiek is the alter ego of Zelda
- Miley Stewart is the alter ego of Hannah Montana