From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Saint Anne (also Ann or Anna, from Hebrew Hannah חַנָּה or Channah, meaning "favor" or "grace.") of David's house and line, was the mother of the Virgin Mary and grandmother of Jesus Christ according to Christian and Islamic tradition. Her name Anne is the Greek rendering of the Hebrew name Hannah. Mary's mother is not named in the canonical Gospels and Qu'ran.
- Saint Anne and Angel (detail) - Bernhard Strigel (1506/1507)
- Virgin and Child with Saint Anne (Masaccio)
- The Virgin and Child with St. Anne (Leonardo da Vinci)
- Madonna and Child with St. Anne (Dei Palafrenieri)
- The Virgin and Child with St Anne and St John the Baptist