From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
- A regulation, law, guideline.
- A ruler; device for measuring, a straightedge, a measure.
- Something to keep order.
Rule, ruler, ruling usually refers to standards for activities. They may refer to:
- Moral, a rule or element of a moral code for guiding choices in human behavior
- Norm (philosophy), a kind of sentence or a reason to act, feel or believe
- Rule of thumb, a principle with broad application that is not intended to be strictly accurate or reliable for every situation
- Unspoken rule, an assumed rule of human behavior that is not voiced or written down
- Norm (sociology), a term in sociology describing explicit or implicit rules used within society or by a group (i.e. social norms)
Law and government
- Monastic rule, a collection of precepts that guides the life of monks or nuns in a religious order
- Rule of law, a government that is not ruled by a person but by laws, as in a constitutional republic; no one person can rule and even top government officials are ruled by the law
- Ruler, see monarch, the person who rules a country