R. D. Laing
From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Ronald David Laing (October 7, 1927 – August 23, 1989), was a Scottish psychiatrist who wrote extensively on mental illness and particularly the experience of psychosis. He is noted for his views, influenced by existential philosophy, on the causes and treatment of mental illness, which went against the psychiatric orthodoxy of the time by taking the expressions or communications of the individual patient or client as representing valid descriptions of lived experience or reality rather than as symptoms of some separate or underlying disorder. He is often associated with the anti-psychiatry movement although, like many of his contemporaries also critical of psychiatry, he himself rejected this label. He made a significant contribution to the ethics of psychology.
- Laing, R.D. (1960) The Divided Self: An Existential Study in Sanity and Madness. Harmondsworth: Penguin.
- Laing, R.D. (1961) The Self and Others. London: Tavistock Publications.
- Laing, R.D. and Esterson, A. (1964) Sanity, Madness and the Family. London: Penguin Books.
- Laing, R.D. and Cooper, D.G. (1964) Reason and Violence: A Decade of Sartre's Philosophy. (2nd ed.) London: Tavistock Publications Ltd.
- Laing, R.D., Phillipson, H. and Lee, A.R. (1966) Interpersonal Perception: A Theory and a Method of Research. London: Tavistock.
- Laing, R.D. (1967) The Politics of Experience and the Bird of Paradise. Harmondsworth: Penguin.
- Laing, R.D. (1970) Knots. London: Penguin. excerpt, movie (IMDB)
- Laing, R.D. (1971) The Politics of the Family and Other Essays. London: Tavistock Publications.
- Laing, R.D. (1976) Do You Love Me? An Entertainment in Conversation and Verse New York: Pantheon Books.
- Laing, R.D. (1976) Sonnets. London: Michael Joseph.
- Laing, R.D. (1976) The Facts of Life. London: Penguin.
- Laing, R.D. (1977) Conversations with Adam and Natasha. New York: Pantheon.
- Laing, R.D. (1982) The Voice of Experience: Experience, Science and Psychiatry. Harmondsworth: Penguin.
- Laing, R.D. (1985) Wisdom, Madness and Folly: The Making of a Psychiatrist 1927-1957. London: Macmillan.
- Mullan, B. (1995) Mad to be Normal: Conversations with R.D. Laing. London: Free Association Books.