From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
- One who is not part of a community or organization.
- While the initiated easily understand the symbols, they are wholly inaccessible to outsiders.
- A newcomer with little or no experience in an organization or community.
- Seeing the mess professional politicians have made of things is it any wonder the electorate is beginning to prefer outsiders.
- A competitor or contestant who has little chance of winning; a long shot; a dark horse
- Johnny was an outsider at this years karate tournament, but he still managed to win second place out of sheer determination.
The word Outsider may refer to:
- One identified as on the periphery of social norms, or as an observer peering into group identity, i.e. having independence in character and thought
Unless indicated otherwise, the text in this article is either based on Wikipedia article "Outsider" or another language Wikipedia page thereof used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License; or on original research by Jahsonic and friends. See Art and Popular Culture's copyright notice.