From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1888 - Jack the Ripper kills Mary Jane Kelly, his last known victim.
- 1966 - Yoko Ono first meets John Lennon when he visited a preview of an exhibition of Ono's at the Indica Gallery in London.
- 1938 - Kristallnacht, Nazi Germany's first large-scale physical act of anti-Jewish violence, begins.
- 1989 – Cold War: Fall of the Berlin Wall. Communist-controlled East Germany opens checkpoints in the Berlin Wall allowing its citizens to travel to West Germany. This key event led to the eventual reunification of East and West Germany, and fall of communism in eastern Europe including Russia.
- 1818 - Ivan Turgenev, Russian writer (d. 1883)
- 1855 - Armand Rosenthal, French journalist (b. 1898)
- 1899 - Mezz Mezzrow , United States jazz musician (d. 1972)
- 1910 - Irving Klaw, American photographer and filmmaker. (b. 1966)
- 1913 - Hedy Lamarr, Austrian actress (d. 2000)
- 1915 - André François, French cartoonist (d. 2005)
- 1926 - Vicente Aranda Spanish filmmaker (d. 2015)
- 1937 - Roger McGough, English poet
- 1778 - Giovanni Battista Piranesi, Italian artist (b. 1720)
- 1918 - Guillaume Apollinaire, French poet (b. 1880)
- 1929 - Jacques Rigaut, French surrealist poet(b. 1898)
- 1953 - Dylan Thomas, Welsh poet and author (b. 1914
- 1970 - Charles de Gaulle, French statesman (b. 1890)
- 1980 - Toyen, Czech painter (b. 1902)
- 1991 - Yves Montand, French actor (b. 1921)
Unless indicated otherwise, the text in this article is either based on Wikipedia article "November 9" or another language Wikipedia page thereof used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License; or on original research by Jahsonic and friends. See Art and Popular Culture's copyright notice.