From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1862 - Lewis Carroll sends the handwritten manuscript of Alice's Adventures Underground to 10-year-old Alice Liddell.
- 1863 - Charles Baudelaire publishes the first installment of his essay The Painter of Modern Life.
- 1917 - L'Esprit nouveau et les poètes conference by Guillaume Apollinaire
- 1922 - Howard Carter and Lord Carnarvon become the first people to enter the tomb of Egyptian King Tutankhamun in over 3000 years.
- 1942 - The film Casablanca premieres at the Hollywood Theater in New York City.
- 1976 - Anarchy in the U.K. first single by Sex Pistols released.
- 1857 - Ferdinand de Saussure, Swiss linguist (d. 1913)
- 1909 - Eugène Ionesco, French playwright (d. 1994)
- 1924 - George Segal, American Pop Sculptor (d. 2000)
- 1944 - Karin Schubert, German actress
- 1951 - Cicciolina, Italian porno actress and politician
- 1911 - Paul Lafargue, French revolutionary and literary critic (The Right to Be Lazy). (b. 1842)
- 1919 - Octave Maus, Belgian art critic, writer, and lawyer. (b. 1856)
- 1966 - Siegfried Kracauer, German-American writer, journalist, sociologist (b. 1899)
- 1979 - Marcel L'Herbier, French writer, producer and director (b. 1888 or 1890)
- 2003 - Stefan Wul, French writer (Fantastic Planet) (b. 1922)
Unless indicated otherwise, the text in this article is either based on Wikipedia article "November 26" or another language Wikipedia page thereof used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License; or on original research by Jahsonic and friends. See Art and Popular Culture's copyright notice.