From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
The News Corporation Ltd. is an Australian media conglomerate that operates world-wide. Its major shareholder and managing director is Rupert Murdoch. It is a public company listed on the Australian Stock Exchange. Formerly incorporated in Adelaide, Australia, News Corporation reincorporated in the United States on April 6, 2004.
The holdings of News Corporation include:
- Australian newspapers
- UK newspapers, published by News International Ltd.
- US newspapers and magazines
- the New York Post
- BSkyB, United Kingdom
- Foxtel, Australia
- DirecTV Group, North and South America
- Sky Italia, Italian satellite TV service
- Star TV, an Asian satellite TV service
- Fox Network a US-wide broadcast television network
- Fox News Channel, a 24-hour cable news channel
- Fox Sports Net, a chain of regional cable television networks broadcasting local sporting events linked together by national sports news programming. Local chanels include "Fox Sports Southwest", "Fox Sports Bay Area", etc.
- Fox Sports World, a North American digital cable network specializing in sporting events outside North America.
- Fox Sports en Español, a Spanish-language North American cable sports network; its sports lineup is tailored to appeal to a Latin American audience.
- FX Networks, a cable network broadcasting reruns of programming previously shown on other channels, but recently creating its own programming, including the Emmy Award-winning program The Shield.
- National Geographic Channel
- SPEED Channel
- Sky One A UK-based general entertainment channel
- Sky News UK-based cable news channel
- Sky Sports UK-based cable sports channel plex
- Sky Movies UK-based cable movie channel plex
- Sky Box Office UK-based on-demand movie channel