Ne me quitte pas
From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
"Ne me quitte pas" ("Don't Leave Me") is a song written and sung in French by the Belgian chansonnier (singer-songwriter) Jacques Brel in 1959. It has been covered in the original French by many artists and has also been translated into and performed in many other languages. A well-known English adaptation - by Rod McKuen - is called "If You Go Away".
Jacques Brel first recorded this song on 11 September 1959, and it is on his album La Valse à Mille Temps. The song is published by Warner-Chappell Publishing. In 1961, he recorded a Flemish version of the song, entitled "Laat Me Niet Alleen". In 1972, Brel recorded another version as the title track of his album Ne Me Quitte Pas.
The lyrics "Moi, je t'offrirai des perles de pluie venues de pays où il ne pleut pas" ("I'll give you pearls of rain that come from lands where it does not rain") are sung to a theme borrowed from the Hungarian Rhapsody No. 6 by the composer Franz Liszt.
Ne me quitte pas was written after Brel's mistress "Zizou" (Suzanne Gabriello) threw him out of her life. Zizou was pregnant with Brel's child, but Brel refused to acknowledge he fathered the child. Zizou later had an abortion as a result of Brel's actions.
It is considered by some as "Brel's ultimate classic". He would later say in an interview that the song is not a love song, but rather a song about the cowardice of men.
Nina Simone performed a well known cover of the song, in her 1965 album I Put A Spell On You. "Ne Me Quitte Pas" was used by Spanish filmmaker Pedro Almodóvar in his sixth film, Law of Desire, in a striking performance by Brazilian singer Maysa Matarazzo.
- Simone Langlois (possibly the very first recording: Brel would have passed it to her prior to recording his own version)
- Maysa Matarazzo in Maysa Sings Songs Before Dawn and Maysa Matarazzo 1961 (released in Argentina). This version was used by Pedro Almodovar in the movie Law of Desire (1987). Also used in 2001 for the Brazilian mini-series Presença de Anita (Anita's Presence).
- Barbara chante Brel
- Nina Simone in her June 1965 I Put a Spell on You album
- Frida Boccara (some versions): 1. Duet with Luis Recatero (EP Belter 51532, 1965); 2. «Frida Boccara Sings» - 1967, LP Melodia, made in USSR («Поёт Фрида Боккара» [Д-20579-80]); 3. "Place des Arts - Montreal '71 Live" (2 LP Philips, 1971 and CD 2006, Canada); 4.«An Evening With Frida Boccara» (1978, Live at Dallas Brooks Hall, Melbourne - 2 LP Philips and some CD compilations)
- Vicky Leandros - Brel asked Leandros to sing this song after they met in a French TV studio. The song was released on the album Ich Bin released January 1971 and on the French album Je Suis Comme Je Suis released in Canada (October 1971
- Gigliola Cinquetti in Bonjour Paris (album CGD 65978)
- Alison Moyet Appears as the B-side to "Love Letters"
- Alison Moyet Appears as the B-side to "Getting Into Something"
- 1995::*Isabelle Aubret in her Chante Brel album
- 1996 HARIS ALEXIOUHaris Alexiou in her live album:gyrizontas ton kosmo (during her world tour).
- The late Frida Boccara in her posthumous Un jour, un enfant CD
- Maria Bill sings Jacques Brel
- Estrella Morente, a flamenco singer, on her album Mujeres, whose arrangement and performance is based on Nina Simone's.
- Brian Molko performed the song in the "I love EU" concert in Brussels .
- 1965 :
- Emili Vendrell - "No em deixis tan sol"
- 1967 :
- Mercè Madolell - "No te'n vagis pas"
- 1968 :
- Salomé - "No em deixis mai"
- Albert Fibla - "No em deixis, no"
- 1971 :
- Arsen Dedić - Nemoj poći sad
- Hana Hegerova, "Lásko prokletá"
- Jacques Brel's version "Laat me niet alleen"
- Liesbeth List's version "Laat me niet alleen".
See the "If You Go Away" article.
- In 1967, singer Lana Cantrell - album LP 1967 "And Then There Was Lana" - CD 'Lana Cantrell', 1998
Scott Walker recorded a cover of "Ne me quitte pas" on his third solo album Scott 3, originally released in 1969. Scott Walker released various Brel covers on the albums Scott 1, 2 & 3, which were translated by Mort Shuman.
There is also another translation of the song by Nick Currie, aka Momus, called "Don't Leave". This is closer literally to the original text than "If You Go Away"Template:Citation needed, and was released first in 1986 on the Jacques EP and later on an extended version of the album Circus Maximus.
American duo the Black Veils translate the song as "Don't Leave Me" on their 2009 CD Troubadours, which includes translations of six other French chansons.
- Brita Koivunen "Jos nyt menet pois"
- Toni Edelmann "Ethän lähde pois"
- Susanna Haavisto "Ala vetää vaan"
- Vera Telenius "Ala vetää vaan"
- Samuli Edelmann "Ethän lähde pois"
- Douwe Heeringa "Leafste bliuw by my"
- Marlene Dietrich "Bitte geh nicht fort"
- Klaus Hoffmann "Geh nicht fort von mir"; "Bitte geh nicht fort" (1997)
- Vicky Leandros on the album Pes mou pos mporeis.
- Yiannis Parios's studio version "Min me afinis mi", from the LP "Tha Me Thymithis".
- Yiannnis Parios' live rendition of the aforementioned song.
- 1974: Dani Granot Sang "Ana Al Telchi", a translation by Dafna Eilat, in his album Shkiot Nashim Vechol Hashar.
- 1992: The late Yossi Banai sings Al tilchi mikan, a translation by Naomi Shemer, in the Im neda' le'ehow - Songs of Jacques Brel record
- 2001: Rita and Rami Kleinstein sang the same Hebrew version live in their tour, that was later released on a CD, Rita Rami On Stage
- 2008: Itay Pearl Israeli composer http://www.itaypearl.com, wrote a song as a response to the original Jacques Brel version.
- 2009: Shlomi Shaban: Translated by Dory Manor, Al Telchi Achshav (Don't go now)
- Gino Paoli, "Non Andare Via"
- Michał Bajor, "Nie opuszczaj mnie"
- Edyta Górniak, "Nie opuszczaj mnie"
- Edyta Jungowska, "Nie opuszczaj mnie"
- Joanna Jabłczyńska, "Nie opuszczaj mnie"
- Altemar Dutra (Brazil) "Se Você Partir" - Se Você Partir (Ne Me Quitte Pas) (J.Brel - Romeo Nunes)
- Raimundo Fagner (Brazil) "Não Me Deixes" - Não Me Deixes (Ne Me Quitte Pas) (J. Brel - Fausto Nilo)
- Mumiy Troll's version "Если ты уйдёшь"
- Branko Završan "Saj ne boš kar šla"
- Sandy Aruba's salsa music version "No Me Dejes Mas"
- Angélica María "No me dejes"
- Matt Monroe "No me dejes no"
- Alma Ritano "No me dejes no"
- Lill Lindfors: "Om du går din väg" in Kom i min värld
- Maria Stoltz: "Du Får Inte Gå" in Franska chansoner
- Zeki Müren "Beni Bırakma"
- Ertan Anapa "Beni Terketme"
- Lale Belkıs "Beni Bırakma"
- Mendy Cahan's version "לאָז מיך נישט אַלײן"
- Das Blaue Einhorn's version of "Ne Me Quitte Pas" in French and German, from their album Verkauf dein Pferd - Lieder vom Halten und Lassen (2007)
- Richard Clayderman, for his 1982 album 'Reveries No.2'