From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Hybrids are mythological creatures combining body parts of more than one real species. They can be classified as partly human hybrids (such as mermaids or centaurs), and non-human hybrids combining two or more animal species (such as the griffin). Hybrids are often zoomorphic deities in origin who acquire an anthropomorphic aspect over time.
- Centaurs are half man, half horse.
- The Chimera, according to Homer, have the foreparts of a lion, the middle of a goat and the hindquarters of a serpent.
- A Griffin has the body of a lion and the head and wings of an eagle.
- Minotaurs are half man, half bull.
- The Satyrs are half goat and half man.
- The Sphinx is a lion that has the head of a man.
- The Naga has the upper body of a human and the lower body of a snake, similar in form to a mermaid.
- The Mermaid has the upper body of a human(usually a woman) and the lower body of a fish.
- A Hippogriff is a cross between a horse and a Griffon.
- Youwarkee is half bird, half girl.
- A Quetzal is a part bird part human creature.
- The Book of Imaginary Beings by Borges
- Animal worship
- Liminal being
- Legendary creature
- List of hybrid creatures
- Power animal