Method Man (song)
From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
"Method Man" is the B-side to the single "Protect Ya Neck" from critically acclaimed debut album by the Wu-Tang Clan titled Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers). It was a solo track for the first successful solo star of the Wu-Tang Clan, Method Man. The song was chosen for The Source magazine 100 best rap singles . The refrain of the song (M-E-T-H-O-D) draws from the 1984 Hall & Oates hit "Method of Modern Love" from Big Bam Boom.
- The refrain of the song (M-E-T-H-O-D) draws from the 1984 Hall & Oates hit "Method of Modern Love" from Big Bam Boom.
- Pattycake - (Pattycake, pattycake, hey, the Method Man).
- Jif peanut butter, Skippy peanut butter, Peter Pan peanut butter - (Don't eat Skippy, Jif or Peter Pan, Peanut butter cuz I'm not butter).
- Green Eggs and Ham - (I be Sam, Sam-I-Am, and I don't eat green eggs and ham).
- Skunk, a strain of cannabis (I got fat bags of skunk).
- White Owl blunts. (I got white owl blunts).
- Method Man uses the term "Super Sperm" a reference to the song "Rapper's Delight" by The Sugarhill Gang.
- Tootsie Pops - (Now how many licks does it take, for me to hit the tootsie roll center of a break?)
- Get off of My Cloud - ("Hey, you, get off my cloud/You don't know me and you don't know my style") - a reference to the Rolling Stones song.
- "Hey, hey, hey, like Fat Albert; It's the Method Man, and there's no if, ands about it...".
- Tweety Bird: "Hold up, what; I tawt I taw a putty tat over there..."
- '"I am the one and only Method Man; rapper with the plan, wrapping shit like Saran..."
- "Chiminy chim chiminy" echoes the chimney sweep song from Mary Poppins.
- David Alan Grier's character Calhoun Tubbs from the TV series In Living Color: "Wrote a song about it; like to hear it? Here it go." This phrase was previously used in En Vogue's "Free Your Mind".
- Pre-song dialogue: Raekwon and Method Man
- Intro: GZA
- Verse one: Method Man
- Chorus: Method Man
- Verse two: Method Man
- Outro: RZA and Ghostface Killah