From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
The term metapainting refers to paintings that reflect on the nature of paintings, paintings on painting as it were.
- "Time smoking a picture" by William Hogarth. It is a painting within a painting and breaks the fourth wall.
- Brushstrokes by Roy Lichtenstein
- The Art of Painting by Vermeer
- Painting within a painting
- Droste effect
- Gallery painting
- Painting consciousness
- The contest of Zeuxis and Parrhasius
Unless indicated otherwise, the text in this article is either based on Wikipedia article "Metapainting" or another language Wikipedia page thereof used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License; or on original research by Jahsonic and friends. See Art and Popular Culture's copyright notice.