From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
- 'The question is,’ said Alice, ‘whether you can make words mean so many different things'
- "Words: Can't say what they mean don't mean what they say" --Tom Tom Club
- a. The symbolic value of something. b. The significance of a thing, as "the meaning of life"
- The definition or connotation of a word.
Meaning may refer to:
- Meaning (linguistics), which is communicated through the use of languages known as
- Meaning (non-linguistic), exmeanitra-linguistic meaning (intentional communication without the use of language), and natural meaning, where no intentions are involved at all
- Meaning (semiotics) has to do with the distribution of signs in sign relations
- Meaning as a relationship between ontology and truth
- Meaning as a reference or equivalence
- Meaning (philosophy of language)
- Meaning (psychology)
- Meaning as values, a value system or as derived from value theory
- Meaning (existential), as it is understood in contemporary existentialism
- The meaning of life, a notion concerning the nature of human existence
- Subculture: The Meaning of Style (1979) - Dick Hebdige
- Taste: The Secret Meaning of Things (1991) - Stephen Bayley
- Laughter: An Essay on the Meaning of the Comic (1911) - Henri Bergson
- Making Meaning: Inference and Rhetoric in the Interpretation of Cinema (1989) - David Bordwell