From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1647 - First recorded execution of a witch in the American colonies.
- 1895 - Oscar Wilde is sent to prison for sodomy.
- 1944 - No Exit by Jean-Paul Sartre premieres in France.
- 1963 - Folk music singer Bob Dylan releases The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan album, which features "Blowin' in the Wind" and several other of his best-known songs.
- 1867 - Arnold Bennett, British novelist (d. 1931)
- 1871 - Georges Rouault, French painter and graphic artist (d. 1958)
- 1894 - Louis-Ferdinand Céline, French writer (d. 1961)
- 1894 - Dashiell Hammett, American author (d. 1961)
- 1911 - Vincent Price, American actor (d. 1993)
- 1913 - Wols, German painter and photographer (d. 1951)
- 1930 - John Barth, American novelist
- 1935 - Ramsey Lewis, American pianist
- 1950 - Dee Dee Bridgewater, American jazz singer