From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
- A quantity of matter cohering together so as to make one body, or an aggregation of particles or things which collectively make one body or quantity, usually of considerable size; as, a mass of ore, metal, sand, or water.
- A large quantity; a sum.
- Bulk; magnitude; body; size.
- The principal part; the main body.
- The quantity of matter which a body contains, irrespective of its bulk or volume. It is one of four fundamental properties of matter. It is measured in kilograms in the SI system of measurement.
- A medicinal substance made into a cohesive, homogeneous lump, of consistency suitable for making pills; as, blue mass.
- A palpable or visible abnormal globular structure; a tumor.
- Excess body weight, especially in the form of muscle hypertrophy.
- A large body of individuals, especially persons.
- The lower classes of persons.
An adjective indicating a large quantity, as in: