From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
He was an early advocate of such filmmakers as Howard Hawks, Rainer Werner Fassbinder, Werner Herzog, William Wellman, Raoul Walsh, Anthony Mann, Michael Snow, Chantal Akerman, George Kuchar and Andy Warhol.
In his essay "White Elephant Art vs. Termite Art" originally published in 1962, he eloquently championed B film and under-appreciated auteurs and coined several terms, such as termite art and monsterpieces.
- 1999 - Special Award at the New York Film Critics Circle Awards
- 2003 - Mel Novikoff Award at the San Francisco International Film Festival
- 1971 - Negative Space: Manny Farber on the Movies
- 1985 - Manny Farber: The Museum of Contemporary Art
- 1993 - About Looking, Manny Farber Paintings 1984-1993
- 2003 - Two for the Road: Sketchbooks of Patricia Patterson and Manny Farber
- 2003 - About Face