From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Maera can refer to:
Mythology and religion
- The name Maera is used by several beings in Greek mythology:
- Maera was hound of Icarius, and was turned into the dog star.
- Maera was the daughter of Proetus, mother of Locrus by Zeus, Maera was a friend of Artemis'. Artemis killed Maera because she lost her virginity to Zeus.
- Maera was a daughter of Atlas.
- Maera was one of the Nereids, daughters of Nereus and Doris
- Maera or Mæra was also an alternative name for Mara, a demon in Buddhist teachings.
- Maera is occasionally encountered as a woman's first name.
- Lasiommata maera is a species of butterfly of the family Nymphalidae, also known as the Maera or Large Wall Brown.
- Maera is a genus of amphipod crustaceans.
- MAERA is the Mid-America Equipment Retailers Association.