From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Loleatta Holloway (November 5, 1946 - March 21, 2011) was an American singer, mainly known for disco songs such as "Hit and Run" and "Love Sensation", both of which have been sampled extensively. She is also widely known for her vocals on "Relight My Fire".
She began gospel singing with her mother in the Holloway Community Singers and she has also recorded with the Queen of Gospel Albertina Walker in The Caravans gospel group. Holloway was also a cast member of the Chicago troupe of Don't Bother Me; I Can't Cope. Around this time, she met her future producer, manager, and husband Floyd Smith and recorded "Rainbow '71" in 1971, a Curtis Mayfield song Gene Chandler had recorded in 1963. The song was initially released on the Apache label, but shortly thereafter got picked up for national distribution by Galaxy Records.
Holloway signed a recording contract with Atlanta base Soul label Aware owned Michael Thevis in 1971. Loleatta recorded two albums for Mike Thevis' "Hotlanta Sound" Aware label both produced by Floyd Smith: Loleatta (1973) and Cry to Me (1975).
In 1976, Aware went out of business and Norman Harris signed Loleatta for his Gold Mind label, a sub label of the famous New York based SalSoul Records. She began singing on Disco productions, and was responsible for some classics like "Love Sensation" or "Relight My Fire" by Dan Hartman. She placed eighteen songs on the Hot Dance Music/Club Play chart, including four Number ones.
1980s to the Present
In the early 1980s, she had another dance hit with "Crash Goes Love" (#5 on the Hot Dance Club play chart, #86 on the US R&B Chart) before her vocals from "Love Sensation" were used in the UK number one hit, "Ride On Time" by Black Box. Holloway, however, was uncredited for her powerful vocals, and both Holloway and her attorneys successfully launched a press-attack, and, subsequently, sued Black Box, leading to an undisclosed court settlement in Holloway's favor. In 1992 she also had a hit with dance band Cappella. There she appeared as Cappella featuring Lolleatta Holloway, of which the single called "Take Me Away" (UK #25). Holloway's fortunes dramatically improved, however, when she had her first US number-one hit when Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch featured her vocals in the chart topping song Good Vibrations (1991). Holloway also performed with Marky Marky and the Funky Bunch to promote to single, and she received full vocal credit and a share of the royalties. Despite the Black Box copyright infringements, both "Ride On Time" and "Good Vibrations" helped elevate Holloway to legendary status in the dance music community.
More recent dance chart entries include "What Goes Around Comes Around" (GTS featuring Loleatta Holloway) in 2000 and "Relight My Fire" (credited to Martin featuring Loleatta Holloway), which hit #5 in 2003. While not a single, "Like a Prayer", a Madonna cover, was a standout track on a Madonna tribute album, Virgin Voices.
Today, Holloway resides in Chicago, and occasionally tours.
- Loleatta (Aware 1973)
- Cry To Me (Aware 1975)
- Loleatta (Gold Mind 1976)
- Queen Of The Night (Gold Mind 1978)
- Loleatta Holloway (Gold Mind 1979)
- Love Sensation (Gold Mind 1980)
- Greatest Hits (Sony, 1996)
- Loleatta Holloway: The Anthology (SalSoul, 2005)
- "Cry To Me" (#10 R&B, #68, US Billboard Hot 100)
- "Worn Out Broken Heart" (#25 R&B)
- "Only You" with Bunny Sigler (#87 US, Billboard Hot 100, #11 US R&B)
- "Love Sensation" (#1 US Dance) (A Tom Moulton mix)
- "Vertigo / Relight My Fire" (with Dan Hartman)
- "Dreamin'" (US #72), (US Dance #3)
- "Hit and Run" (#3 US Dance)
- "Catch Me on the Rebound" (#16 US Dance)
- "Crash Goes Love" (#5 US Dance), (#86 US R&B) (Latin freestyle music classic)
- Black Box - "Ride On Time" (#1 UK; contains vocal samples of "Love Sensation"--Holloway's vocals are also the only vocals on the track, thereby making them lead vocals; also Britain's best selling single of 1989)
- Gotta Be #1 (#2, US Dance)
- Marky Mark (aka Mark Wahlberg) & The Funky Bunch- "Good Vibrations" (#1 US, #14 UK; Prominently Features Holloway's Vocals/Sampling from "Love Sensation." This was Holloway's only US #1 on the Billboard Hot 100)
- "Dreamin'" (remix) (#1, US Dance)
- "What Goes Around Comes Around" GTS featuring Loleatta Holloway
- "-Don't Leave Me This Way--2007"(2007 Deep Influence Mix)