List of types of killing
From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
(Redirected from List of types of murder)
Killing of self
- Suicide – intentional killing of self.
Killing of family
- Aborticide – the act of killing a fetus in the womb
- Familicide - is a multiple-victim homicide where a killer's spouse and children are slain.
- Feticide (or foeticide) - the act of killing a fetus in the uterus or causing an abortion
- Filicide – the act of a parent killing his or her son or daughter.
- Fratricide – the act of killing a brother, also in military context death by friendly fire.
- Geronticide – the abandonment of the elderly to die, commit suicide or be killed. See also Senicide.
- Honor-killing – the act of killing a family member who has or was perceived to have brought disgrace to the family.
- Infanticide – the act of killing a child within the first year of its life.
- Mariticide - the act of killing one's spouse, especially the murder of a husband by his wife.
- Matricide – the act of killing one's mother.
- Neonaticide - the act of killing an infant within the first twenty-four hours or month (varies by individual and jurisdiction) of its life.
- Parricide – (also Parenticide) the killing of one's mother or father or other close relative.
- Patricide – the act of killing of one's father.
- Prolicide – the act of killing one's own children.
- Senicide – the killing of one's elderly family members when they can no longer work or become a burden.
- Sororicide – the act of killing one's sister.
- Uxoricide – the act of killing one's wife.
Killing of others
- Amicicide – the act of killing a friend.
- Androcide - the systematic killing of men.
- Capital punishment – the killing of a human being for odious crimes.
- Ecocide - the destruction of the natural environment by such activity as war, overexploitation of resources, or pollution
- Euthanasia (also mercy killing) – the killing of a human for compassionate reasons i.e. significant injury or disease.
- Femicide (also Gynecide, Gynaecide, or Gynocide) – the systematic killing of women
- Gendercide - the systematic killing of members of a specific sex, either males or females
- Genocide – the systematic extermination of an entire national, racial, religious, or ethnic group.
- Homicide – the act of killing of a person
- Human sacrifice – the killing of a human for religious reasons
- Omnicide – the act of killing all humans, to create intentional extinction of the human species.
- Populicide – the slaughter of the people.
- Xenocide – the act of killing an entire alien species
Killing of superiors
- Deicide – the act of killing a god or divine being
- Dominicide – the act of killing one's master.
- Episcopicide – the act of killing a bishop.<ref>Webster's 1913.</ref>
- Giganticide – the act of killing a giant.
- Regicide – the act of killing a king.
- Tyrannicide – the act of killing a tyrant.
- Vaticide – the act of killing a prophet.
Killing of intangibles
- Chronocide – the killing or wasting of time
- Famacide – the killing of another's reputation, a slander.
- Liberticide – the destruction of liberties.
- Urbicide - the destruction of a city or the stifling of an urbanization.
Killing of animals, disease, and pests
- Algaecide – a chemical agent that kills algae
- Acaricide – a chemical agent that kills mites.
- Avacide – a chemical agent that kills birds
- Bactericide – a chemical agent that kills bacteria.
- Biocide - a chemical agent that kills a broad spectrum of living organisms.
- Cervicide – the killing of deer.
- Ceticide – the killing of whales.
- Culicide – a chemical agent that kills mosquitos.
- Felicide – the killing of cats
- Fungicide - chemical agents or biological organisms used to kill or inhibit fungi or fungal spores.
- Germicide - an agent that kills germs, especially pathogenic microorganisms; a disinfectant
- Gonocide (also Gonococcicide) – an agent that kills the bacterium causing gonorrhea
- Herbicide - an agent that kills unwanted plants, a weed killer.
- Insecticide – an agent that kills unwanted insects.
- Larvicide (also Larvacide) - an insecticide targeted against the larval life stage of an insect.
- Lupicide – The killing of wolves.
- Microbicide – an agent used to kill or reduce the infectivity of microorganisms.
- Muscicide – an agent that kills fleas.
- Nemacide (also Nematicide, Nematocide) – a chemical to eradicate or kill nematodes.
- Ovacide – an agent that kills eggs of an organism particular a pest i.e. lice eggs.
- Parasiticide – a general term to describe an agent used to destroy parasites.
- Pediculicide – an agent that kills head lice.
- Pesticide – a general term to describe an agent used to destroy or repelled an unwanted pest. .
- Pulicicide (also Pulicide) – an agent that kills fleas.
- Raticide – an agent for killing rats.
- Scabicide – a chemical agent for killing scabies.
- Spermicide – a contraceptive agent to render sperm inert and prevent fertilization.
- Tauricide – the killing of bulls or steers.
- Teniacide (Also taeniacide, tenicide )– a chemical agent that kills tape worms.
- Vermicide - an agent used to kill parasitic intestinal worms
- Vespacide – a chemical agent that kills wasps.
- Vulpicide (also Vulpecide)- the killing of a fox by methods other than by hunting it with hounds.
- Virucide (also Viricide) - an agent capable of destroying or inhibiting viruses
Unless indicated otherwise, the text in this article is either based on Wikipedia article "List of types of killing" or another language Wikipedia page thereof used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License; or on original research by Jahsonic and friends. See Art and Popular Culture's copyright notice.