List of controversial books
From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
A - M
- Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain - a book famously banned in a large number of U.S. states and even branded by the NAACP for its alleged racist overtones and alleged racist language
- All I Need Is Love - Aging actor talks about his love life
- American Psycho - a fictional narrative of a stock broker who lives a double life as a serial killer.
- Annie on my Mind - A fictional tale about two women who meet and fall in love
- Apocalypse Culture II - probes social taboos
- Bias Against Guns, The - claims that widespread gun ownership prevents crime and is a net social good
- Bicameralism (psychology) - divides primitive human mind to expressive and obedient parts
- Bilingual Today, French Tomorrow - claims that, with current policies, Canada will be primarily French-speaking in the near future
- Black Book of Communism, The - catalogs human rights violations by some Communist states.
- Book Your Church Doesn't Want You to Read, The by Tim C. Leedom traces the origins and history of modern day western religions
- Calcutta Quran Petition, The - discusses Hindu/Muslim tensions in India, including several accounts of banning; incidentally, it was itself subject to attempts to ban it
- Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger was frequently criticized in the United States and Australia for its supposed glorification of violence and sexism
- Camp of the Saints, The - Predicts uprising of (and revolution by?) minorities in France and then the world.
- Chariots of the Gods - suggests that extraterrestrials have visited Earth
- A Child Called It - autobiographical account of child abuse
- Cider House Rules, The - for support of the pro-choice abortion movement
- Clandestine in Chile:The Adventures of Miguel Littin - discusses an exile secretly visits Chile during Pinochet
- Collapse (book) - deals with societal collapses involving an environmental component
- Confessions of Nat Turner, The - historical novel
- Conscience of a Conservative - known as a social commentary by Barry Goldwater
- Consciousness Explained - examines mind/brain relationship
- Consilience: The Unity of Knowledge- dreams of grand unification of sciences and humanities
- Controversy of Zion, The- supposes Jewish plot to take over the world by subverting countries.
- Culture of Critique series, The- portrays Jewish group behavior/culture as a competitive strategy
- Da Vinci Code, The - Fictional account wherein characters expose hidden truths the Catholic Church has concealed for centuries, including Christ's divinity, his celibacy and thus the possibility of a genetic heritage. (Jesus' descendants.)
- Deadly Deceits (My 25 Years in the CIA) by Ralph McGheehee - Its publication was delayed for three years by the CIA itself despite much of the book's content already being public knowledge
- Dictionnaire philosophique- Voltaire is critical of society, religion - in alphabetical order
- Dude, Where's My Country? - Michael Moore deals with corporate and political events in the U.S.
- Flowers in the Attic - V.C. Andrews discusses a sexual relationship that develops between an adolescent brother and sister
- Fight Club - throws into light some darker philosophy
- Forever - Judy Blume was banned in several states for openly discussing adolescent sexuality
- Emperor's New Mind, The - subtitle: Concerning Computers, Minds and The Laws of Physics
- Enemy Within, The (book) - subtitle: Saving America from the Liberal Assault on our Schools, Faith and Military
- Feminine Mystique, The - claims that some women can find fulfillment in non-traditional roles
- Finnegans Wake - This is in the style Ulysses, but much more obscure.
- First Stone, The - deals with a 1992 sexual harassment scandal at Ormond College, Melbourne
- From Time Immemorial (book) argues that many of the refugees from the 1948 Arab-Israeli war were not native Palestinians
- God's Politics - why the right are wrong and the left just don't get it
- Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck was often criticized for its vulgar language
- Green Book, The - Muammar al-Qaddafi's views on democracy and his political philosophy.
- Harry Potter Series, The - Depictions of witchcraft and the supernatural.
- Hogg (novel) - a pornographic novel endorsed by Norman Mailer
- Hollow Hope, The - Subtitle: Can Courts Bring About Social Change? (examines judicial activism)
- Holocaust Industry, The - Subtitle: Reflections on the Exploitation of Jewish Suffering
- Homesteading the Noosphere - anthropological examination of Open Source software management
- How Europe Underdeveloped Africa - claims Africa was held down and used by European colonial regimes.
- In Defense of Internment - subtitle: The Case for Racial Profiling in World War II and the War on Terror
- Invasion: How America Still Welcomes Terrorists, Criminals, and Other Foreign Menaces Exactly as the title states.
- Jewish History, Jewish Religion claims Jewish history as told by Israel is ethoncentric
- Like Water for Chocolate frustrated lovers consummate their love late in life in magical Mexico
- Live from Death Row memoirs of a cop-killer, reviews long history of blacks in America
- Lives of John Lennon, The - critical of Lennon
- Le Livre noir du Canada Anglais - purports injustices in Canada against the Quebecois, Jewish and aboriginal peoples.
- Lolita - Deals explicitly with pedophelia
- Mad Man, The - a "pornotopic fantasy" (novel)
- Malay Dilemma, The - promotes autonomy for the indigenous people of Malaysia
- Mandingo (novel) - a novel about violence towards black slaves in antebellum South
- Michael Moore Is a Big Fat Stupid White Man rebuts the arguments set forth in Michael Moore's books
- Might is Right discusses Social Darwinism in a way that could be construed as a blunt affirmation of it.
- Josephine Mutzenbacher - 1906 Pornographic novel that graphically depicts the sexual activities of a Viennese girl from ages 5-12.
- Myth of Islamic Tolerance, The - ST:How Islamic Law Treats Non-Muslims (suggests: not very nicely)
- Nickel and Dimed ST: On (Not) Getting By in America. Examines "working poor" in post welfare-reform USA
- On the Justice of Roosting Chickens Portrays 9/11 as revenge for Western meddling in Mid-East in 20th century
- Painted Bird, The (novel) Involves incest, etc.
- Paulicéia Desvairada Poetry that sometimes condemns Brazilian society
- Plot Against America, The alternate history novel where Charles Lindbergh is elected U.S. President in 1940
- A Prison Diary diary of a former MP and British prisoner in various jails
- Rage and The Pride, The - post-9/11 condemnation of Islam as a totalitarian force bent on destroying Western civilisation
- Real Anita Hill, The - purports to revealed the real motives of Anita Hill. Later repudiated by its author.
- Real Lincoln, The - severely critical view of Lincoln presidency.
- Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot and Other Observations NISM?
- Samizdat (book) ST: And Other Issues Regarding the 'Source' of Open Source Code . NISM?
- Satanic Bible, The, by Anton La Vey
- Satanic Verses, The (novel) by Salman Rushdie - considered blasphemous by many Muslims.
- The Secret Mulroney Tapes: Unguarded Confessions of a Prime Minister NISM?
- Seduction of Hillary Rodham, The - written by some media watchdog?
- Show Boat - Broadway musical with stereotypical portrayal of blacks as socially inferior
- Siege (book) - Embraces Charles Manson as a Leader for today.
- Starship Troopers - a science fiction novel depicting a lot of warfare. Also considered by many to advocate militaristic anti-democracy, or fascism.
- Story of Ferdinand, The - children's book supposedly promoting pacifist propaganda
- Testimony (book) - supposed the memoirs of the composer Dmitri Shostakovich, purporting that he could be, a times, quite rude
- Truth About Hillary, The - delves into her sexuality and political ambitions, but includes proven inaccuraciesTemplate:Ref
- Turner Diaries, The - details a fictional white supremacist takeover of the world
- Unsafe at Any Speed claims that car manufacturers resisted implementing safety features
- Vestiges of the Natural History of Creation Pre-Darwin attacks on creationism
- Will They Ever Trust Us Again? questions military sense of loyality after invasion of Iraq
Unless indicated otherwise, the text in this article is either based on Wikipedia article "List of controversial books" or another language Wikipedia page thereof used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License; or on original research by Jahsonic and friends. See Art and Popular Culture's copyright notice.