From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1926 - Antoni Gaudí, the famous Catalan architect, is run over by a tram. He dies 3 days later in hospital.
- 1949 - Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell is published.
- 1949 - Anti-communism - Helen Keller, Dorothy Parker and a host of Hollywood celebrities are named in an FBI report as Communist party members.
- 1968 - James Earl Ray is arrested for the murder of Martin Luther King Jr.
- 1984 - Homosexuality is declared not a crime in the state of New South Wales, Australia.
- 1743 - Alessandro Cagliostro, Italian adventurer (d. 1795)
- 1867 - Frank Lloyd Wright, American architect (d. 1959)
- 1941 - Fuzzy Haskins, American musician (P-Funk)
- 1952 - Peter Fischli, Swiss artist
- 1955 - Tim Berners-Lee, English internet developer
- 1900 - George Antheil, American avant-garde composer and pianist (d. 1959).
- 1809 - Thomas Paine, American revolutionary and writer (b. 1737)
- 1846 - Rodolphe Töpffer, Swiss cartoonist, and caricature artist (b.1799)
- 1876 - George Sand, French author and early feminist (b. 1804)
- 1913 - Emily Davison, feminist activist (b.1872).
- 1971 - Arnoldo Mondadori, Italian 'gialli' publisher (b. 1889).
- 1945 - Robert Desnos, French surrealist poet (b. 1900).
- 1996 - Audrey Munson, American model and actress, known as "the Exposition Girl" (b.1891)
- 2001 - Alex de Renzy, American film director (b.1935)