From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1374 - A sudden outbreak of St. John's Dance causes people in the streets of Aachen, Germany, to experience hallucinations and begin to jump and twitch uncontrollably until they collapse from exhaustion.
- 1535 - The Anabaptist state of Münster is conquered and disbanded.
- 1692 - Kingston, Jamaica is founded.
- 1901 - First exhibition of Pablo Picasso's work opens.
- 1936 - International Surrealist Exhibition, Paul Éluard reads 'La Poésie Surréaliste'.
- 1842 - Ambrose Bierce, American author
- 1888 - Gerrit Rietveld, Dutch architect (d. 1964)
- 1930 - Claude Chabrol, French film director
- 1935 - Terry Riley, American composer
- 1941 - Julia Kristeva, Bulgarian-French philosopher
- 1519 - Lucrezia Borgia, Duchess of Ferrara (b. 1480)
- 1957 - František Kupka, Czech painter and graphic artist (b. 1871)